Saguaro National Park To The Mexican Border

I left the Santa Catalina Mountains and hiked towards mighty Mica Mountain in pretty pleasant weather.


Halfway Up


Mica is part of Saguaro National Park, but due to its height there isn’t a single saguaro cactus in sight. Its top is covered with pine trees.


No views, but a shoe portrait…

Near The Top


I met a fellow thru-hiker, Draggin’, while taking a break near the end of the grueling 5000 feet climb. He was going a little further that day and I stayed near the top in Manning Camp and had the AZT camping section to myself.


Not at camp, but close


Hiking down the other side of the mountain I finally found the cacti that gave the National Park it’s name.


Saguaro Everywhere 


Late afternoon I met up with Draggin’ at Magic Camp, the best trail magic I experienced on the AZT. We each had a huge dinner of several hamburgers and hot dogs, fruit and sweet snacks before I reluctantly hiked on for a few miles to get to Colossal Cave where I camped. 


Good Bye, Mica Mountain 


My very last supply package was waiting there for me the next morning. It’s a beautiful area and I stayed for a while to explore, but by mid-morning I was on my way again, crossing the desert floor one more time.


Desert Floor With Sleeping Bag


As I was crossing Interstate 10, the last major highway before the border, it hit me that I was going to make it. This gave me a big and much needed boost of energy. No more zero days, I decided. I could relax after finishing the trail.


I-10 Underpass


That night I stayed near Kentucky Camp, a historic gold mining settlement and it turned out to be the coldest night of the hike. I woke up to a solid layer of frost on my tent and frozen water in my bottles. This trail was always good for a surprise.


After Thawing Water


After warming up in the morning sun I headed towards Mount Wrightson Wilderness, the next sky island. This was actually the old routing of the AZT, the new route did not enter the wilderness area.


Mount Wrightson 


Hiking down towards Patagonia, the last trail town, I passed three hunting camps. I definitely saw more hikers than deer in that area though.


Landscape With Cattle


In Patagonia I stayed one night in the cozy and friendly Stage Stop Inn. The next morning I topped off my supplies for the last time and headed towards the Canelo Hills. Once I reached the ridge I could already see Mexico, but the trail was taking me east towards Miller Peak Wilderness, the last sky island before teaching the terminus. 


Looking Towards Mexico 


The last day of my hike turned out to be one of the most beautiful as the views from the ridges leading up to Miller Peak were amazing.


Miller Peak Wilderness 


Hiking up and down the sky islands is not easy and so it took me most of the day to get to the intersection of the AZT with the trail leading to the Coronado Memorial Visitor Center, my last camping spot.


After setting up my tent and having a snack I hiked down to the border and the southern terminus of the AZT, just a mile away.


Last Camp


The end of my hike was as solemn and somewhat lonesome as the beginning. I was the only thru-hiker finishing that day (Draggin’ finished the day before) and had the border monument as well as the infamous wall, which strangely just ended there, to myself.


Infamous Wall
This hike is over!!


I made it back to camp just before darkness came and was rewarded with one of those really beautiful Arizona sunsets. As my tent was on a ridge I could see into Mexico on one side and into Sierra Vista, AZ on the other. There were more lights on the Mexican side than I anticipated and as night fell, ranchero music drifted up from the south.


I’ll miss those sunsets!


I cooked dinner on the little bench at the trail intersection and started texting friends and family that I’d made it. I felt a very solemn and quiet happiness and also a deep tiredness. I was grateful to have made it, definitely with the help of trail angels that stocked the supply boxes with water. As friends started congratulating, I was just happy, satisfied and grateful. My last ramen dinner was actually really nice. I had some tea, watched the stars above and was also grateful for the moderate temperatures that allowed me to stay out without freezing. Eventually I went to sleep in my tent for the last time on this hike.


Sunrise before hiking out


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Finally Made A Bucket List

Hello, Hayduke!

The Route