Through The Mazatzal Mountains To Roosevelt Lake
After leaving the urban trails around Flagstaff, I mainly hiked through heavily managed ponderosa pine forest, along or near dirt roads that used to be railroad grades for logging trains. Seasonal lakes like Marshall Lake, where I also camped one night, brought some nice visual changes.
![]() |
| Morning At Marshall Lake |
This continued until I passed massive Mormon Lake and got closer to the Blue Ridge near Mogollon Rim. Another hiker had told me about a fire closure that required a road walk, but when I reached the area the forest service had expanded the closure and I couldn’t easily go around anymore.
![]() |
| Too Close For Comfort |
A helpful trail angel was onsite and brought the two of us to the small town of Pine where we spent the night. I had planned to stop there anyway as I had sent a resupply package to their small post office.
![]() |
| Always A Good Day! |
Shannon, the trail angel, dropped me off at the other end of the closure the next morning (the other hiker decided to stay in town) and I continued my hike with nice views of the Mogollon Rim.
![]() |
| Looking Down From The Rim |
![]() |
| …And Up It From Below |
The next section turned out to be much tougher than I expected. As I entered the Mazatzal Mountains, the trail became steep, overgrown, washed out and in some places even hard to find.
![]() |
| Mazatzal Wilderness |
My daily mileage dropped significantly and I was even at risk of running out of food. The shorter days didn’t help. I tried hiking after dark, but due to the bad condition of the trail I barely made any progress.
![]() |
| Gorgeous Views Though! |
I didn’t meet any other hikers for the next five days. It’s a remote wilderness, but I would have expected somebody out there as the scenery was beautiful and definitely worthwhile visiting. I can’t think of any other time in my life when I was completely alone for that long. What an interesting experience! Thankfully I had intermittent cell coverage to communicate a little with the outside world.
![]() |
| My Only Companion Here |
As the days went on I started to ration my food as the trail didn’t get any easier and I could see that I would barely make it to the next resupply stop.
![]() |
| Glorious Evening |
The trail continued from the Mazatzals to the Four Peaks Wilderness, another rugged area with steep and eroded drop offs. From the ridge I could see immense Roosevelt Lake, where this section would end, but the last 22 miles didn’t have any water sources and so I also had to ration my water during one of the hottest days of my hike, all the while looking down at the lake!
![]() |
| Looks So Close… |
At least the scenery improved and in addition to the lake views I could admire the immense cacti that I had been looking forward to see.
![]() |
| Look, Don’t Touch! |
When I had about nine miles left I was down to my last liter and knew I would be dehydrated by the time I reached the lake. That’s when I saw that a trail angel had deposited about eight gallons of fresh and even cold drinking water in a large cooler near an intersection of the trail with a dirt road. What an awesome surprise!
I got to my destination about 5 pm, hiking 18 really tough miles on some oatmeal, three Clif Bars, some honey and a few pieces of chocolate. Luckily the restaurant at Roosevelt Marina was open and I compensated with a large steak sandwich.
![]() |
| Food Never Looked So Good… |
I decided right then that it was time for my next zero day.
![]() |
| No Hiking Today |













Comments
Post a Comment