Superstition Mountains and Mineral Mountains
After resting for a day at Roosevelt Lake I climbed up Cottonwood Canyon to get into the Superstition Mountains.
![]() |
| Good Bye, Roosevelt Lake! |
There were still trees (although a large portion of the area burned in 2019), but the vegetation was more and more dominated by cacti and other desert plants.
![]() |
| Saguaro “Forest” |
The trail conditions and water situation remained challenging and I had adjusted my mileage goals per day, so I wouldn’t run out of supplies. The overgrown trail took its toll and my legs and hands got cut up a little more every day. Haymaker, a fellow thru-hiker who I met at Roosevelt, wrote in the trail register: “Destination: Mexico, if I still have enough skin left.”
![]() |
| Superstition Mountains |
After leaving the Superstitions, I entered an area that is part of the Sonoran Desert. I was greeted by three large rattlesnakes. I saw them very late (both, the snakes and I jumped backwards) and there was definitely no time for pictures, but the encounters made me hike a little slower to have a bit more reaction time.
![]() |
| Grass on the trail = Snakes on the trail |
I went on hiking the beautiful Mineral Mountains. The Arizona Trail was recently rerouted in this area and the new trail was spectacular!
![]() |
| Good Morning! |
Great views, much better trail maintenance and, best of all, the Arizona Trail Association installed a rain water collector in an otherwise extremely dry segment of the trail.
![]() |
| Life Saver |
These kind of views were my main motivation to hike the Arizona Trail.
![]() |
| Mineral Mountains |
It was getting hotter as a heat wave formed in the area. Afternoon temperatures reached upper 90s F in the shade and it became very difficult to hike during these hours.
![]() |
| Beautiful, But No Shade |
When I reached the Gila River I resorted to night hiking to escape the worst of the heat. I was happy to reach the small town of Kearny where I stayed for a night in a hotel room with air conditioning to recuperate. I won’t take another zero day here, but it has been nice to take a break from the heat.
![]() |
| The Only Way Is Up! |









Comments
Post a Comment