Onwards To Flagstaff

 My resupply package was waiting for me at the Grand Canyon post office just as planned. I packed everything into my backpack and left. I chose a slightly different route than the official Arizona Trail to stay near the rim a little longer and explore the areas around Yaki Point and Shoshone Point.

Yaki Point

Shoshone Point


I re-joined the official route at a fire lookout tower that provided nice views over the Coconino Rim.


Fire Lookout

Coconino Rim


The following days were long and relatively hard hiking days as water again became scarce and water sources were an average of 20 miles apart.


Setting up in the moonlight 


That defined my daily mileage as I didn’t want to carry more than four liters of water on top of everything else.


Glorious Sunsets 


The landscape was pretty in a low key way, changing from ponderosa pine forest to more open juniper trees and eventually open grassland, perfect for equestrians.



Later it was getting mountainous again as I reached the San Francisco Mountains with Humphrey’s Peak. There is also the Arizona Ski Bowl resort and temperatures in that area dropped markedly.


These clouds mean wind…


Around the time I reached this area I felt that my physical transformation from “office worker who occasionally hikes” to “full time hiker” was finally complete. I had lost some weight, but not too much, my legs got strong enough to hike an average of 20 miles a day and my stomach was now able to process enough food to provide the necessary energy as long as I set my pace accordingly.


First Fall Colors


As I got closer to Flagstaff I started looking forward to “town food”, a hot shower (my last one was in Jacob Lake, about two weeks earlier) and laundry, especially as there were no rivers or big lakes to rinse off in. I decided to take my first real “zero” day in Flagstaff and stay there for two nights.


Near Flagstaff 


And just like that, one third of my hike was already over.

I added about 100 miles in Utah


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Finally Made A Bucket List

Hello, Hayduke!

The Route