On The Trail Again - Bryce Canyon
The time has finally come! I haven’t written much about my preparations as they were pretty similar to what I did for the Pacific Crest Trail. There were just a few changes. First, I did not cook and dehydrate my own food. This was mainly a timing issue as I was very busy in the months leading up to this hike. Also, my planned route is about 900 miles and thus significantly shorter than the PCT.
I did pack and ship more supply boxes though, as my experience with the small general stores in trail towns was pretty mixed. Some didn’t have many choices of camping food, and when a large number of hikers had come through, they were sold out quickly.
![]() |
| Love My Local Post Office |
My gear is pretty much the same too. Of course I have new clothes and shoes, but I kept my tent, sleeping bag, mat, stove, pot and cup. I also kept my solar panel. It’s a bit scratched up and looks like it’s been to outer space and back, but it still works.
![]() |
| Protective Wrap Courtesy Of Alaska Airlines |
But now for the fun part. I started the trip in Las Vegas, as there are daily tours to Bryce Canyon that I could use for transportation to my starting point. And of course to have some fun!
![]() |
| Carb Loading With My Favorite Person |
On September 8 I roused myself from sleep at 4:30am, said goodbye to River and took the bus to Bryce Canyon. I had only slept a few hours, but was still excited for the hike to start. At Bryce, I checked into my campgsite, picked up my backcountry permit and went on a sunset hike around the Fairyland Loop.
![]() |
| Fairyland Point |
I woke just before sunrise and, since Sunrise Point was very close to the campground, went over there for a glorious sunrise.
![]() |
| Sunrise Point |
Then it was time to eat, pack and get going. I hiked all morning through the beautiful Hoodoo landscapes of the National Park.
![]() |
| Still Very Well Nourished… |
As I was wandering through the park, I wondered if this place had ever been used for fertility rites…
![]() |
| … |
After reaching Bryce Point and the backcountry area, there were no more people. In fact, after leaving the main area of the park I didn’t see anyone until I reached my campsite that night.
![]() |
| Under The Rim Trail |
The trail got quite rough and was often completely washed out. I needed my GPS more than I thought I would and the day was a lot tougher than I had anticipated. I was very happy when I finally reached camp, way after dark.
![]() |
| Didn’t Take Long To Meet My First Rattler |
The next morning brought clouds and later a rainstorm that I had not expected. I hiked mainly through pine forests with the occasional glimpse of the characteristic Hoodoo features of the park.
After a long and exhausting climb I reached Rainbow Point, the highest point of this section of my hike. The wind was blowing strongly, the rain coming in horizontally.
![]() |
| Rainbow Reaching Rainbow Point |
I contemplated camping under the shelter of the lookout, but it was too exposed, so I went on to Riggs Springs where I set up camp in the rain and went to sleep early. Another beautiful but exhausting day. The next morning I would be leaving Bryce National Park and hike into Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument.
![]() |
| Good Bye Bryce Canyon |











Amazing views!
ReplyDelete