Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument
The formations of Bryce Canyon are already part of the Grand Staircase as I learned from this very helpful illustration I later found at an information center.
Technically I was now on my way to the next step of the staircase. I had been following Podunk Creek which flows out of Bryce Canyon and carries the sediment from the highest step of the staircase with it. When I entered Lick Wash at lower elevation, I could clearly see the two colors side by side as the sediment from the Podunk coated part of the surface of the wash.
![]() |
| Podunk Creek Sediment |
Lick Wash isn’t a true slot canyon, but it has a few picturesque narrow sections. The formations in this area clearly show the colors of the second step of the staircase.
![]() |
| Lick Wash |
Leaving Lick Wash I encountered the interesting Lefevre Cabin.
![]() |
| Lefevre Cabin |
Parts of it were destroyed, but there was still a kitchen with a stove, a semi-intact bedroom and lots of old scribblings on the wall, some from the 80s and 90s.
![]() |
| Kitchen |
I found an old piece of newspaper, but couldn’t find a date with a year.
![]() |
| Just missed it… |
I kept on walking down the staircase, although this stretch had deep sand and didn’t necessarily feel like a downhill walk. I saw parts of the White Cliffs hiking around the impressive No Man’s Mesa.
![]() |
| No Man’s Mesa |
The following day the weather turned rainy again. I had a long walk on a dirt road towards the Vermillion Cliffs, the next step down the Grand Staircase.
![]() |
| The Long Road |
After the road walk I entered Buckskin Wash, one of the longest canyons in the world. I camped on an elevated plateau in a beautiful section of the wash. I had not seen a single hiker all of that day.
![]() |
| Upper Buckskin Wash |
I followed the meandering wash most of the following day. There were additional access points and it became a little livelier with a few day hikers. The colors also gradually changed to red tones as I was getting close to the Vermillion Cliffs.
![]() |
| Buckskin Wash |
In the afternoon I found a nice perch overlooking a bend in the canyon and set up camp there. I was high enough to be protected in case of a flash flood in this narrow section of the wash.
Then I set out for a side trip to the Coyote Buttes, specifically one feature that was called The Wave. I had to enter a lottery to be allowed to visit this place and was really excited. I entered this area through a narrow slot canyon, called Wire Pass.
![]() |
| Wire Pass Slot (from above) |
The next section of the hike went across miles of solid red rock. Despite the popularity of the hike, nobody else was on the trail, as it was getting late.
![]() |
| Coyote Buttes Trail |
I reached the Wave about an hour before sunset. I don’t think the pictures will do it justice. A true highlight of my hike!
![]() |
| The Wave |
It got dark on the way back, but I didn’t teally care. I had a dinner under the stars just before crossing Wire Pass again (now in complete darkness) and getting back to my tent.
![]() |
| Never Gets Old |
The following day I would finally cross the state border and start the Arizona National Scenic Trail. That will take me to the lowest step of the Grand Staircase, but arguably the most impressive: The Grand Canyon














Comments
Post a Comment