Northern California From Tahoe To Bucks Lake Wilderness - Winter Is Coming

 The PCT follows the Tahoe Rim Trail for a few days, entering spectacular Desolation Wilderness. 

Aloha Lake. Just One Of The Many Beautiful Lakes Here


It is here that many hikers experience encounters with bears that have become very skilled at cutting down ropes used to hang food from trees. This happened to three hikers that I know. They had to head all the way back to South Lake Tahoe to buy new supplies. This area does not mandate that backpackers carry bear resistant canisters, so most hikers choose to ship the bulky and heavy containers home as soon as they leave the area of the Sierra Nevada where they are required. Bears seem to be highly aware of this… I had kept mine for peace of mind and had no problems while camping at beautiful Tamarack and Richardson Lakes.


Richardson Lake

Tamarack Lake


I hiked for a day through Granite Chief Wilderness which again looked like a wildflower paradise. I have hiked through wildflowers since the beginning of my journey.


Granite Chief Wilderness

Granite Chief Wilderness


North of the wildernesses, the trail crosses several ski areas, like Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley.


Ski Areas Are Pretty In Summer Too


The Donner Ski Ranch is just a few hundred yards from the PCT. They offer two free large beers to every hiker who can present a valid through hike permit to entice them to stay, have lunch or dinner and perhaps even spend the night in one of theirs dorms. 


Those Flowers Were Everywhere…


While I had lunch, a hiker who was only doing a section of the PCT complained that he also deserved a free beer and questioned why only through-hikers are offered this benefit. I was busy with my food and didn’t want to engage in conversation, but I thought: The difference is urgency. All of us through hikers had the same worry. Winter is coming. Once it starts snowing in the North Cascades, our chances of reaching Canada are diminished. Section hikers may have personal goals and deadlines, but not such a collective urgency. Businesses like Donner understand that they need to offer something in exchange for our time.


Winter Is Coming…


Now that the Sierra Nevada and presumably the most difficult part of the hike was behind us, reaching Canada appeared more realistic and the focus increased quite a bit. I can see it in the eyes of my fellow hikers when they talk about daily mileage goals, reducing pack weight and so on.


It definitely affected my hiking. I still pursue side trips from the PCT whenever there is an interesting sight nearby, but the days of lazy mornings with chocolate stew and early afternoon camping are long gone. My last Zero Day (no hiking at all) was a month ago and I wasn’t planning another one for some time.


After lunch at the ranch, Donner, Roller and Castle Passes came in quick succession. Thankfully these were easier than the passes in the High Sierra.


Castle Pass


As the trail meanders through beautiful Plumas National Forest, it crossed the scenic Feather River several times and I allowed for a quick swim every time it happened.


Feather River


As I reached Bucks Lake Wilderness, I could see the first bits of burned forest from last years Dixie Fire. They were a harbinger of things to come. 


Burned Forest Near Belden


I could write more, but I have to go. Winter is coming…


Bucks Lake Wilderness


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Finally Made A Bucket List

Hello, Hayduke!

The Route