Tehachapi To Kennedy Meadows
In the days after leaving Tehachapi the desert showed its best side.
![]() |
| The Bloom Continues |
![]() |
| More Desert Hills |
![]() |
| View From Camp |
I was happy to have a long uninterrupted stretch of 136 miles to hike, so I could get into my daily hiking routine.
![]() |
| Another Scenic Camp Spot |
The 600 mile marker came and went and by the time I reached Walker Pass the winds were back.
A group of us talked to a local hiker who warned us of 30 to 40 mile high winds in the following days. We collectively shrugged as this was much better than what we had before reaching Tehachapi.
![]() |
| These Clouds Mean Wind |
The trail entered Kiavah Wilderness where I hiked and camped with Marmot, another hiker moving at about the same pace.
![]() |
| Watching The Sunrise |
I developed a cold, probably from hiking and sleeping in the high winds. I slept longer (which means until around 6:30 am) and hiked fewer hours to conserve energy.
![]() |
| …And The Sunset |
Everything else was going well and I reached spectacular Owen Peak Wilderness.
![]() |
| Owens Peak Wilderness |
With every day anticipation grew as we could all see the changes in landscapes, vegetation and fauna.
![]() |
| The End Of The Desert Is Near |
The desert was officially coming to an end after 700 miles. I really loved this section of the PCT, more than I though I would. I will miss the reliably dry climate and camping without bugs, but I’m also ready for the next chapter of this amazing trail.
![]() |
| Near Kennedy Meadows |
Sierra Nevada, here I come!












Amazing pictures Michael!
ReplyDelete