Through The San Gabriel Mountains
After leaving Big Bear City, trail life became relatively easy for a few days.
![]() |
| Big Bear Lake |
The trail followed Deep Creek and water was abundant for once. The creek had deep pools, so I had an opportunity to wash or even swim every day.
![]() |
| Deep Creek |
The best part was a long stop at the natural hot springs that flowed into the river. No pictures, as this is a clothing optional location.
![]() |
| Deep Creek Canyon |
After leaving the Deep River Canyon, I went swimming in beautiful Silverwood Lake, after which water became scarce again.
![]() |
| Silverwood Lake |
Then it was time again for another visit to the desert floor at Cajon Pass, this time without the high winds.
![]() |
| Approaching Cajon Pass |
It was fascinating to see the arteries of commerce, the rail lines with their endless cargo trains and the I-15 Interstate with heavy truck and car traffic, after days in the wilderness.
![]() |
| I-15 Never Sleeps |
I hiked through Swarthout Canyon where caring trail angels had stashed water canisters. Then I went up into the San Gabriel Mountains. I camped on a saddle around 15 miles after the pass. I could still see the interstate glow in the evening light and faintly hear the trains honking as I went to sleep.
![]() |
| Back In The Mountains |
The next morning I made coffee and watched the rush of traffic going into Los Angeles at sunrise, packed up and went into the mountains around Wrightwood, summiting Mt. Wright and hiking through the ski resort, camping halfway up Mt. Baden-Powell and watching a beautiful sunset together with some fellow hikers.
![]() |
| These Views Never Get Old |
The next morning I summited Mt. Baden-Powell for a beautiful sunrise, had breakfast on top and made my way down the other side. Beautiful experience!
![]() |
| Mandatory Summit Shot |
![]() |
| Good Morning! |
![]() |
| The Lowlands Were In The Clouds |
I hiked the Angeles Crest for the remainder of the day, at times through recent burn zones where vegetation just started to reclaim the burned ground.
Mile 400 came and went as I kept following the crest. The greater Los Angeles area is very close, but the trail keeps it completely out of sight, giving the illusion of complete wilderness.
The following day was Saturday and quite a few people from L.A. came out for trail magic! They brought coffee, soft drinks, croissants with cream cheese and jam in the morning, and even beer and whiskey at a different spot in the afternoon. Very friendly people and much appreciated!
![]() |
| Breakfast Magic |
The desert keeps blooming as my first month on the PCT comes to an end.
After 454 miles the trail passes through the small town of Agua Dulce, a convenient spot to resupply. Unfortunately their only market closed down, so the food options were limited to a liquor store and a hardware store. There will be a lot of jerky in my near future. There is a nice Mexican Restaurant in town where I had dinner and drinks with a few fellow hikers and even got to meet the reigning Miss Agua Dulce!
![]() |
| Meeting Miss Agua Dulce! |
Next up: crossing the Mojave Desert and hiking the Los Angeles Aqueduct.


















Comments
Post a Comment