I’ve been hiking for two weeks and my feet and legs are getting stronger. I’ve slowly increased mileage, but as soon as I started feeling great about myself, the terrain got tougher and put me back in my place.
 |
| Bigger Mountains - Bigger Cacti |
The beautiful rolling San Felipe Hills came and went, and from there I entered the unexpectedly beautiful Warner Springs Meadows where I camped on a little hill, put to sleep by the mooing of the cows that grazed in the meadow below.
 |
| Warner Springs Meadows |
The next day I got my first resupply package in Warner Springs.
 |
| Happiness In A Box |
The town used to have a restaurant and a helpful community center with showers and a store, but the restaurant was permanently closed and the community center temporarily, so all that I encountered was the post office and a gas station. I was happy to get fresh supplies, but also a bit deflated as my pack got heavier again when I headed out of town.
 |
| Leaving Warner Springs |
The trail followed a small creek for next few miles, so for once there was plenty of water. I camped just a few miles up from there in a spot with beautiful views of both sunrise and sunset.
 |
| Sunrise |
 |
| Camping Bliss |
The only water to be found the following day came from tanks that helpful trail angels keep filled.
The landscape was beautiful and green. There was birdsong in the air and, despite the soreness of my body and the heat, I felt great. I saw a few more snakes, including a really colorful one that I never saw before.
 |
| Mystery Snake |
I camped on a sandy spot in Tule Canyon, just setting up my inner tent to watch the stars at night. There was no wind and the night felt very peaceful.
 |
| Sunrise At Tule Canyon |
The following day I felt a certain stress to get going and make miles for the first time during my hike. The reason is the Paradise Valley Cafe that reportedly has the best burgers on the trail. They were 15 miles away and close at 3 pm. So, after breakfast I started hoofing it 7.5 miles to Mary’s place where I filled up my water at the tank she graciously provides and then another 6.5 miles to the road, plus one mile road walking to the cafe.
 |
| Trail Angel Mary Provides Water And Poetry |
Along the way I talked to a few fellow hikers who felt the same sort of stress and we all trotted on to have our first meal in many days that was not cooked on a camping stove.
 |
| Worth It! |
I got there by 1:30 pm and still had enough time for taking pictures and enjoying the way.
 |
| Cactus Flowers |
It was tough to get going again with a really full belly, but I hiked on for another few hours to end the day at another beautiful camp spot, on a saddle overlooking the San Jacinto Wilderness as well as the lights of Palm Springs in the distance.
 |
| Shrubs Provide Wind Protection |
 |
| Morning Views |
Slowly I establish my “herd”, a bunch of hikers that move at a similar pace day over day. I saw some of them again the next morning at Tunnel Spring, the next water source, or as I like to say, oasis.
 |
| A Trough - Not Just For Animals |
The terrain in this area is the steepest so far and my pace slowed quite a bit.
 |
| Steep Ascents… |
 |
| …To Gorgeous Views |
Midday the wind picked up. Hiking in the strong wind took a lot of energy and by the time I got to Apache Spring, the next water source after another 11 miles, it was already 4 pm.
 |
| Evening Light - Strong Winds |
The wind had become incredibly strong. The next protected campsites were all taken and I had to carry on for another mile until I found a spot tucked away between boulders and bushes. I set up, made a quick dinner and crawled into my tent to warm up and relax.
 |
| Good Morning! |
In the morning I took my first little side trip to check out the views from the fire lookout on the summit of Mt. Tahquitz.
 |
| Top Of The Fire Lookout |
Then I made a long and feet burning descent to the small town of Idyllwild to take my first shower in a week, buy supplies for the next days, and catch up with other hikers over delicious town food and cold beer.
 |
| First Things First! |
I slept in a bed for the first time since starting my hike, washed all my clothes at the local laundromat and hitched a ride back to the trailhead.
 |
| Going Up, Up, Up Again |
I took another side trip to summit Mt. San Jacinto. It’s a popular destination, but most people take a tramway from Palm Springs rather than the long hike. By the time I got to the peak, the day trippers left and I had the summit to myself for a few minutes.
 |
| Top Of Mount San Jacinto |
I camped a mile below the summit in an area that still had plenty of snow and I got to test the heat retention capabilities of my sleeping bag that night.
 |
| Above The Clouds |
I woke up early the following day. The temperature was below freezing and after unsuccessfully trying to hack some chunks of frozen snow loose to boil water for coffee, I resigned myself to cold soaked oats and started the long descent down Fuller Ridge and Snowy Creek towards the desert floor.
 |
| Hiking Fuller Ridge |
I was above the clouds and the views were incredible.
After a calm morning the wind picked up again, this time so strong that I had difficulties walking. I made my way down the mountain as quickly as I could as I was hoping that the wind was less strong further down.
 |
| To The Desert Floor |
I found a decent camp spot, but the wind was still blowing and it was difficult to set up the tent. I had to use huge rocks to pin down the tent stakes.
 |
| The Tent Survived Another Wind Storm |
Still, the tent shook violently with every gust, made noises like a runaway freight train and dumped clouds of sand on me in regular intervals. I secured my camera in a dry bag, closed all the vents and hoped for the best.
 |
| 200 Miles Done! |
There was no way I could sleep in this mayhem, so I wrote this blog entry instead. I hope you enjoy it!
 |
| Friendly Fellows |
Incredible photos! Thanks for sharing
ReplyDeleteI'm catching up on your progress. My Google results on the snake suggest a bull snake but I'm a city girl so... It was certainly beautiful colors. I enjoy the cloud-stuffed valley photos you post when you are above the clouds. I can almost taste the joy of ice cream, burgers and beer! Prosit!
ReplyDeleteI'm still researching your snake. Maybe a California mountain king snake. OK, I'll stop. https://dipperanch.blogspot.com/2015/06/grassland-snakes-of-santa-cruz-mountains.html
ReplyDelete