From The Desert Floor Through The San Gorgonio Wilderness

 I woke up to a layer of dust on everything, my sleeping bag, my face, my eyelids, the tent floor. Outside, the sun was just coming up over the mountain ridge and I opened the tent to see the beautiful sunrise. 

Sunrise


The wind had finally eased and I got to make breakfast and pack up without problems. Shortly after I started hiking it picked back up and most of the day was a struggle against the wind.


The Calm Before The Wind Picked Up

Dust In The Wind

To The Desert Floor


I finally reached the desert floor and with it a water spigot provided by the local water authority, the first water source in the last 20 miles. I had carried all water for the previous day and that morning with me.


Cheers!


The desert floor turned out to be sort of a wasteland. I had to cross busy railroad tracks with long rattling freight trains as well as Interstate 10 through underpasses.


Container Trains Heading To L.A.


Over me, there were high voltage cables from a nearby wind farm humming in the high wind. A large dust devil danced towards me. It was rough going and I was happy to rest a bit at the underpass, also dubbed I-10 Oasis, as trail angels sometimes leave water, drinks and food.


I-10 “Oasis”

I finally made it to the mountains on the other side. Although the wind kept blowing, the vegetation here kept the sand and dust mainly on the ground.


Up The Next Mountain

Mesa Wind Farm


I crossed a section of the Mesa Wind Farm, went over the next ridge and felt like I entered another world.


Whitewater River Valley


The wide valley of the Whitewater River looked to be light years away from the area I just crossed. I made my way down and put up my tent near the bank of the river. After I had dinner it was 7 pm, the winds finally died down and I was completely exhausted and went into my tent to sleep.


Good Night!


The next day was very pleasant as I hiked with some fellow hikers up  Mission Creek. No shortage of water and the weather was very nice. I needed the respite from the last three days in the storm!


Nice Views All Day


It got colder as I hiked higher into the mountains and by the time the day ended, I was wearing my puffy jacket. The temperatures dropped below freezing that night and I hiked in my puffy and gloves almost all the next day. The views in the morning were gorgeous and Mt San Gorgonio made frequent appearances.


Mt. San Gorgonio

I camped with other hikers in a tree covered valley. The temperatures dipped to 25 F and I woke up to frozen water in my bottle and frozen oatmeal for breakfast.


SoCal In May…


I made coffee, warmed up the oatmeal and mixed in a large chunk of dark chocolate as well as peanut butter, creating sort of a chocolate stew to warm my belly and my heart.



Then I headed into Big Bear City to resupply and celebrate completion of the first 10% of the PCT with a few other hikers.


Joshua Trees Making An Appearance


Comments

  1. 10% of the way! Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to overcome the frozen oatmeal and concoct something warming to your heart and belly. I am not quite sure what the last photo depicts - a stack of donuts surrounded by french fries? A massive burger-onion-ring something? In any case, "Mangia!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Finally Made A Bucket List

Hello, Hayduke!

The Route