PCT Gear - What's In Your Backpack?

What am I going to need for five months in the wilderness to keep me alive and comfy? Which indulgences can I afford to bring and still be able to carry my backpack comfortably for an average of around 20 miles per day? I learned from my shorter trips that it's key to have comfortable footwear and a backpack that is easy to carry. It's just as important to have a sleep system that allows for a good night's rest to restore your energy and enthusiasm for the trail ahead. Of course there are many items you need for a trek like the PCT. In this post I want to concentrate on my choices for backpack, tent and footwear.

Winter Hike In The Teanaway

So, where to start? My main source of information are the experiences I made during PCT section hikes and other backpacking trips. I was able to test and fine tune most of my equipment over the years and learned what I need and what I can live without for some time. Even with this background I knew that I needed to make a few changes. Most of my gear is pretty old and was made a time when lightweight and ultralight materials were not as common as they are today. So while my old equipment is comfy, it is also pretty heavy and I needed some major upgrades. 

It all has to fit in here...

My trusty North Face Backcountry backpack has been my travel, hiking and backpacking companion for over 20 years and I was very reluctant to replace it. However, in addition to the weight issue, some seams started to come apart and I was getting worried if it would still withstand the rigors of the PCT. So I went to my local REI and spent several afternoons hiking around the store with all kinds of different packs on my back. Eventually I settled on an Osprey Exos 58. It is about the same size as my old backpack, so I know it will be large enough for my hike. Surprisingly, it is also just as comfy as my old pack while weighing a lot less!

Goat Rocks Wilderness Camp

Next was the tent. I have a roomy REI tent with external poles that form a dome shape compartment to live it, just like most newer tents do. It's big enough for two people and the weight is okay, but it's far from ultralight. I have been intrigued by some tent designs that use hiking poles instead of regular tent poles. I love the idea of using the same equipment in multiple different ways. These tents are not easily available in stores for a proper try-out, so I had to rely on internet research and friends with similar tents (thanks Adrien and Rob). I decided to get a Sierra Design High Route 1 Person tent. It does have less space, but it's big enough for me and it's about half the weight.

Roasted Boots Near Kendall Katwalk

The hardest part for me was to abandon my heavy hiking boots in favor of lighter footwear. I rolled either of my ankles countless times while running and hiking and I appreciate the support that my Asolo Fugitive hiking boots provide. But... You have to lift those heavy boots with every step. Countless friends have implored me to change to trail runners for this long hike. Reluctantly I went to the store to try some and... they are so much lighter than my boots! They feel amazing! Why haven't I done this 10 years ago? I decided to go with La Sportiva Raptors. They still provide decent support and are much lighter than my boots. Last night I completed my first test hike in them and they feel amazing.

First Test Hike Above The Clouds

There are many other pieces of equipment that I upgraded, fiddled with or discarded, but these are the  biggest changes I implemented. This weekend I am planning the first overnight backpacking trip with my final gear selection. I am getting really excited!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Finally Made A Bucket List

Hello, Hayduke!

The Route