PCT Dinner Details - Adventures in Food Dehydration
In my last post I explained my overall strategy for food supply on the PCT. Working on the dinner plan has been a very tasty experience, as it includes cooking a wide variety of foods and then trying them before and after dehydration.
| Chris thinking about dinner near Alaska Lake. |
This doesn't always go according to plan. Last week, for example, my friend Cheryl gave me a batch of masala that her mom prepared, along with a recipe for chicken. It was absolutely amazing! I devoured most of it immediately and ate all that remained the following day. There was nothing left to dehydrate and I decided that it was simply too good to take on the trail. The subtlety and depth of the dish would likely be lost.
This week I finally cooked and dehydrated the last batch of dinners for my trip. This is the culmination of several months worth of work, as I had already started this process in October. First I was cooking small amounts for tasting and fine tuning portion sizes, then I started preparing bigger batches that I would actually use during my hike.
| Cheryl's mom makes the best masala. |
This week I finally cooked and dehydrated the last batch of dinners for my trip. This is the culmination of several months worth of work, as I had already started this process in October. First I was cooking small amounts for tasting and fine tuning portion sizes, then I started preparing bigger batches that I would actually use during my hike.
| Peeling large quantities of potatoes requires special support. |
In addition to making the food, I also investigated storage options. I decided to use heavy duty Mylar bags for carrying the dinners. These are very similar to the pouches that the commercially produced hiking meals come in. One advantage is that they can actually be used for rehydrating the meals as they can withstand high temperatures. Instead of pouring the meal and water into a cooking pot and heating it over a camping stove, I can just add hot water to the bag itself, wait 15 to 20 minutes for the food to be rehydrated and dig in. That saves time and work, as I don't have to clean the pot afterwards. These bags also have aluminum lining to block out light which helps to prevent certain foods from spoiling. As this is a mayor concern, I also add oxygen absorbers to each meal.
| The finished product. |
Here are the weight statistics on some of my favorite recipes that I will bring on the PCT:
Potato Stew With Ground Pork: A satisfying dinner portion of my mom's recipe weighs about 850g. Dehydrated it is only 170g.
Chana Masala: A portion of 450g together with 255g of rice (total 705g) is enough to send me to the couch for an after dinner nap. After dehydration it weighs just 200g (115g for the Chana Masala, plus 85g for the rice).
| Chana Masala coming out of the dehydrator. |
Goulash: Another favorite recipe from my mom. Meat heavy and dense, a hearty portion of 400g along with 300g of rice or pasta for a total of 700g should be enough to replenish the energy lost during a long hiking day. It weighs in at 215g after dehydration (115g Goulash, 100g rice).
Daal: Easy, tasty and nutritious, I needed about 500g along 210g of rice to feel satisfied after a long ski day (should be equivalent to a long hiking day). Weight after dehydration: 225g (150g daal, 70g rice)
Rice And Beans: A hikers staple, I cooked my version with a curry spice mix to add some extra flavor. A hearty meal of 755g dehydrated to 187g.
| Not only humans worry about provisions... |
Bring some skiing!!!
ReplyDelete