My PCT Plan - Or How To Move The Mountain

When I started researching about the hike I learned from the Pacific Crest Trail Associations website that most people spend between six and eight months planning and training. This seemed completely outrageous to me. How can it possibly take that long to plan a hike? Surly this can be done much quicker? Moving to a different country has taken me less time than that. You probably gathered by now that I am not a natural planner.

Wikipedia's PCT map (adapted from the official USFS map)

The more I got into it, the more I understood that there is really a lot of work to do. In addition to the hike itself, I also needed to to store my belongings and rent out my home. I will also have to leave my work and that necessitates a good deal of financial planning. And on and on it goes. It quickly looked like an almost unsurmountable mountain of work. And why do it at all? My life is quite alright the way it is. I have a cozy home, great friends, a secure although stressful job. No need to add a whole new bunch of stressors, risk and additional work.

Why indeed... Believe me, I have been asking this question myself a few times. Maybe this quote by Osho is the best summary of an answer I could find:

Osho: What does it mean to live dangerously?

DANGEROUSLY? To live dangerously means to live. If you don’t live dangerously, you don’t live. Living flowers only in danger. Living never flowers in security; it flowers only in insecurity. If you start getting secure, you become a stagnant pool. Then your energy is no more moving. Then you are afraid, because one never knows how to go into the unknown.
And why take the risk? The known is more secure. Then you get obsessed with the familiar. You go on getting fed up with it, you are bored with it, you feel miserable in it, but still it seems familiar and comfortable. At least it is known. Unknown creates a trembling in you. The very idea of the unknown and you start feeling unsafe.
There are only two types of people in the world. People who want to live comfortably — they are seeking death. They want a comfortable grave. And people who want to live — they choose to live dangerously, because life thrives only when there is risk. Have you ever gone climbing the mountains? The higher the climb, the fresher you feel, the younger you feel.
Spectacle Lake, PCT Section J, Washington

So, how did I go about getting started? First I broke this project down the into manageable categories:

- Timing and Permits
- Gear
- Food
- Re-Supply Strategy
- Work and Financials
- Home Rental and Management

Then I created a timing plan for each category and got to work. The detailed plan is a bit too big to show here, but this overview is capturing the main points:
PCT Timeline Overview

I am now three and a half months into planning this adventure and I have a bit more than three months to go before my start date on April 25. While I feel confident that this is enough time, I will definitely need it. Of course all my planning takes place while working a full time (and demanding) job and also trying to enjoy life along the way.

I'll share more details about the plan in my next posts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Finally Made A Bucket List

Hello, Hayduke!

The Route