PCT Start Timing And The Nerve-Wrecking Permit Lottery
Most people start their thru-hike at the Southern Terminus of the PCT. There are actually far more aspiring hikers than permits, so you literally have to win the lottery to get one!
| Sunset At Sheep Lake, PCT Section H |
Before I could even enter the lottery, I had to decide my start date and also make a prediction how long the whole trek would take me.
So, how did I decide when I should start? The trail starts in the desert at the US border with Mexico and hiking early in the year would help avoiding the stifling heat. On the other hand, after crossing the roughly 700 mile long desert areas, the High Sierra awaits where snowy passes and flooding rivers can become huge obstacles if you enter the high country too early.
| Goat Rocks, PCT Section H |
But wait, you say. Isn't this all just a lot of speculation? Nobody can really predict the weather reliably that far out and anyway, how can you know it will take you 44 days to cross 700 miles of freakin' desert?
All very true, but the permit lottery took place on November 9 and in order to participate I had to make a decision with the information I had.
On the day of the lottery I armed myself with my start date (and a more loosely defined end date), four different browsers on three different devices and a large cup of coffee.
This wasn't the end of it. After sending in the permit application, I had to wait another two weeks that felt like an eternity for the application review and approval. On November 22 I finally received the confirmation.
I really felt what the permit was saying, my thru-hike finally started to get real, along with all its implications for my job, my home, my life. There were still a myriad of things that could go wrong. But still, this was a big step.
| Sheep Lake, PCT Section H |
I didn't sleep much that night.
Hmmmm. I love this! You are embarking on a physical adventure. I am embarking on a spiritual adventure that I've dreamed of for ten years - going back to school for my MDiv (part-time, distance learning). When I got my acceptance to the program, I felt it beginning to get real! Now that I'm starting my first class in three weeks, it's getting very real.
ReplyDelete